Sunday 22 November 2009

Strike on verge of 50 days


I am on strike.

In fact, I have been for the last 49 days at the time of writing.

I have steadfastly refused to watch Liverpool Football Club play on TV since their pathetic 2-0 drubbing at Chelsea on 4 October 2009.

Watching that match was like watching a slow, painful death, and after several awful performances before that, I couldn't be bothered putting myself through the stress and distress of watching Liverpool play anymore.

I have been avoiding newspaper headlines, television bulletins and radio news about Liverpool FC ever since, and if truth be known, I haven't missed football a bit.

Football, and sport in general, can be such a shallow interest, certainly compared to the intellectual complexity of politics and current affairs where every story has a conspiracy or ideological angle.

I am also on the verge of cancelling my subscription to Sky Sports for the first time - erm - ever. It costs over £20 per month and there's no way I'm getting value for money when I can't be bothered to even turn it on anymore.

It may just be a temporary phase or it may not.

But what's for certain is the first 50 days of my strike are almost up and I have no plans to end it.

My wife is certainly not complaining.

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine

No comments:

Post a Comment