Saturday 14 November 2009

Oxford trip scuppered by storm


We were all set to day-trip to Oxford today to meet my brother and his girlfriend but had to cancel at the last minute, unfortunately, due to the ridiculously bad weather.

They live in Wales, miles away - we selected Oxford as a half-way meeting-up point to exchange pleasantries and Christmas gifts (to be passed onto Santa of course) although my brother was being rather generous in suggesting it was half way between where we live.

The journey was actually about one hour longer for him, but he's younger and all that so I thought he'd relish the challenge of having to drive a bit further.

My brother/girlfriend - aka Uncle Steve & Auntie Kate - have only met Ciaran once - he's only 6 months old - and were no doubt looking forward to seeing him again, as were we, of course, to see them too, even if they are a bit Welsh. There's nothing wrong with that of course.

Trust the worse bloomin storm to hit the UK this year to blow off the Irish sea and scupper our plans!! I spare a brief thought as I type for the intrepid fishermen at sea braving the conditions to make a living and catch our cod as I grumble about a scuppered social visit.

I've never set foot in Oxford in my life. I've driven through the place several times but never set foot in it. I have to say, I was really looking forward to seeing the place with its rich academic history - Oxford Brookes is a fine institution of learning - at least, to go some way to justifying why I support Oxford over Cambridge in the Boatrace / Varsity Challenge, when I live far closer to Cambridge.

Anyway, we're looking forward to seeing my brother and girlfriend soon, hopefully, on a day when my Dad's toupee won't blow off.

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine

No comments:

Post a Comment