Sunday 15 November 2009

Still defending my squash 'title'


I love a game of squash.

As far as sports go, it's definitely my favourite to play.

No great distances to go to fetch your ball after each point, unlike tennis. Fast, unlike badminton. A not-too-steep learning curve that enables you to reach a satisfying standard of competency quickly, unlike snooker and golf (which most mere mortals spend all their lives struggling just to manage the extremely fine margins of error of the cueing action / golf swing)

The sheer size and scale of the golf coaching market is a testimony to the sports difficulty!

I, on the other hand, prefer the much more forgiving margins of error of squash.

I have been battling it out on squash courts across Bedfordshire with my wife's cousin, Robert, for what seems like ages now.

When we started in 2007, I had the upper hand.

I'd played a bit of squash when I was younger, but I hadn't played for ages mind, and Robert was a complete novice.

Suffice to say, as the scores below attest, I had the edge to begin with. But it didn't take long for him to get the hang of the rules, the technique and my game plan and, before too long, he was posting some good scores on the board.

As many of you will know, I'm a big fan of lists, tables and statistics, and I have been keeping a log on my phone of every game Robert & I have ever played.

Here it is in all its glory/gruesome detail.

And just to wind Robert up, if he's reading this, I still hold the Squash Championship title, which I've held undefeated since 2007. I'm gonna get a good kicking when he reads that....

My scores are on the left, Robert's on the right:

2007
6-0
6-0
5-1
1-5
7-1
2-3
2-1
6-1
5-1
5-3

Irish Daddy wins the 2007 Squash Championship by 8-2

2008
5-4
2-4
1-6
2-4
6-2
3-5
5-2
6-5
7-4
5-3
4-7
4-5
4-5
5-6
5-4
5-2

Irish Daddy & Robert share the 2008 Squash Championship

2009
2-3
6-1
5-3
5-1
4-2
5-4
4-4
3-8
1-6
0-10
3-7
3-6
5-3

*Updated on 18 November 2009

2009 Squash Championship is 6-6
Irish Daddy & Robert share the 2009 Squash Championship

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine

No comments:

Post a Comment