Saturday 21 November 2009

Ninny Sue comes to town


Ben's looking forward to seeing his Irish Nanny next week.

My Mum is over next weekend from Belfast, but she's not known as Mum any longer in this neck of the woods. Oh no. It's all 'Ninny Sue' as far as the eye can see.

If you're stumped about what this 'Ninny' shenanigans is all about, I've published a guide to 'benglish' on an earlier blog entry. This should put you right.

So, as I was saying, Ninny Sue is coming over from Belfast on Friday and Ben's talking about it already.

If truth be told, Ben's been talking about it for weeks.

Such is the busy lives we lead and the distance between us, Ben hasn't seen his Ninny Sue since July, but I've been chipping away at this stubborn old log for some time now, encouraging him to memorise my Mum & Dad's names and where they're (and I'm) from and it's been paying dividends.

Ben seems to have a skill for memory.

I'd taught him body parts, animal names, fixtures and fittings around the house and such like ages ago and he'd always picked them up in no time, so I knew he'd have no trouble memorising people's names. He's clearly going to be one for remembering names not faces.

Soon, he was reeling off my Mum and Dad's names in no time and where they were from.

Sure, it could come out a bit clearer. For instance, a Ben "Nanny Sue, Belfast" sounds more like "Ninny Soo...buffest", but that ain't too bad for a toddler. We're not rushing him off to see a speech therapist or anything.

So, it's off to Luton Airport again this week (a mate of mine from Edinburgh was down a fortnight ago) and Ben will enjoy that. He loves watching the aeroplanes.

I bet he won't like flying on them soon though.

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine

No comments:

Post a Comment